Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
There is a big flavor difference between store bought mayo and homemade. Give this a try!
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a food processor whirl together the yolks, mustard, salt and lemon juice.
- Continuing to whirl, SLOWLY add in a THIN STREAM the cold oil, until you reach the consistancy you wish.
- Stop processor and taste, adding 1 t. sugar if you wish, and whirl to incorporate.
- This can also be done in a blender.
- Add to 1 cup mayo 3 T.
- or more grated or prepared horseradish for roast beef.
- Add to 1 cup mayo 3 T.
- whipped cranberry jelly and 1 T.
- grated orange peel for turkey sandwiches.
- Add to 1 cup mayo 2 T.
- wasabi paste, 1 T.
- light olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk well and serve with crab cakes or grilled fish.
- Add to 1 cup mayo 1/2 cup chopped herb of your choice and whisk well.
- The sky's the limit once you start adding flavors to homemade mayonnaise.
This recipe was very easy to make, but it tasted awful! It tasted like plastic and salt! I think the amounts for the ingredients must be wrong???? It thickened extremely quickly, so had very little oil in it.
Thank you DiB's for this recipe. I was out of mayonnaise today and decided to make some for a macaroni salad. This is a great recipe. I used olive oil and added minced garlic, cayenne pepper, balsamic vinegar and white pepper and it turned out great, after I made it for the sixth time. I would end up everytime with a broken mess as Miraklegirl did. I read all the recipes here and finally found only ONE with the secret. Use COLD OIL and the egg yolks and other ingredients must be at room temperature. It was 92*F. in my kitchen today and the oil must have been 92*F. I put the olive oil in the fridge for four hours after dinner and proceeded at midnight to make another batch. This time it worked! I took the first batch that had separated but I kept it cold in the fridge and slowly poured it in with the new batch and that worked. I wish I would have saved the other batches too but they went down the sink. I did have to double the recipe as my food processor wouldn't get the process started with only two egg yolks and I did not use all the COLD oil as I was afraid it would break again. I have zmailed Miraklegirl to give her the good news. Thank you again for a very tasty recipe.
This is truly fabulous. I was very excited to try this recipe. Really really outstanding.