1 hr 5 mins
From the 'Tried & True Grit' Cookbook, which consists of recipes published in 'The Grit' from 1884 to 1976. This recipe appeared on August 11, 1957. Making this cake is a fussy operation, but well worth the effort for a special occasion. The meringue and topping between layers create a unique texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
Mayonnase Cream Filling
- 1Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Butter two 9-in layer cake pans; dust lightly with flour.
- 4Cream butter or margerine with 1/2 c sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- 5Blend egg yolks, milk, and 1 t vanilla.
- 6Sift flour with baking powder & salt.
- 7In a separate large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 3/4 c sugar, 1 T at a time, beating after each addition. Continue beating until meringue holds stiff peaks. Set aside.
- 8Assemble cake batter by adding egg yolk mixture and flour mixture alternately to creamed mixture. Divide in two equal parts and spread in two prepared cake pans.
- 9Divide meringue and spread on unbaked batter in both pans. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon-sugar topping.
- 10Bake 20-25 minutes, until meringue is set and cake layers are done.
- 11Remove from oven and cool thoroughly on wire racks. Run spatula around inside of pans and remove cake layers, keeping meringue side up.
- 12Just before serving, place one layer on serving plate, with meringue side up.
- 13Spread with filling made by mixing mayo, sour cream, 2 T sugar, and 1 t vanilla.
- 14Top with other layer, meringue side up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mayo Blitz Torte
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.2
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.7 mg
- Sodium 251.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 29.9 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: