Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
"Palov" is the Uzbek pilaf, a rice dish usually made with mutton. Different regions have their own variations, using locally available dried fruits, seasonings, and vegetables. This recipe is from "Uzbek National Cuisine".
- 150 g raisins (5-6 oz)
- 350 g vegetable oil
- 3 -4 onions, sliced
- 800 g carrots, sliced (28 oz)
- 1 kg rice (2 1/4 lb)
- In a bowl, cover raisins in water.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil to very hot.
- Sear onions until reddish-brown.
- Then lower heat slightly, add carrot strips and cook until golden.
- Add raisins, rice, and salt. Add water, to about 1/2 inche above the surface of rice.
- Cook uncovered until water evaporates. Cover, lower heat, and cook 20-25 minutes or until rice is done.
I am not a fan of fruit in 'savory' dishes so I figured I wouldn't care for this one, but I really wanted to make it for the Holiday Challenge since it's the national food of Uzbekistan. This recipe didn't change my mind about raisins in rice, so I'm not going to give it a star rating, just the posted review. The recipe worked well, but it's jusst not my taste. made for EE Holiday Challenge ZWT4 for the Daffy Daffodils.