Recipe by Happy Harry #2
This makes a great backyard salad. Great flavor. It is the type of salad that lets you add ingredients as your imagination soars!
Top Review by happy2bme_9_8206787
I served this at my Mayan supper over the weekend and got lots of compliments...and requests for the recipe. I doubled the recipe and thought it could have used just a bit more of the bean mixture to even things out. But it was definitely a wonderful salad and I will make again.
- 1 cup quinoa, well-rinsed and toasted
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel (fresh-cooked or thawed frozen)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided (can use lime)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 fresh garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 cups black beans (if canned, rinse)
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- lemons (optional) or lime wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, combine quinoa and 2 cups water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork and place aside to cool.
- Combine cooled quinoa, corn, 1 tbls juice, pineapple, scallions and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In separate bowl, combine garlic, beans, tomato, 1 tbls juice, cilantro and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds.
- TO SERVE:.
- Spread bean mixture onto a serving platter and mound the quinoa on top.
- Garnish with additional sunflower seeds.
- Arrange wedges of lemon or lime around edges.