Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
Flavorful and spicy, it's one of our favorite ways to fix chicken these days. It's especially handy when you mix it up the night before,and marinade overnight. I found this on the web somewhere, and have thanked the person who posted it each time we have it. I usually serve it with Black beans,yellow rice and a fruit salad with mango, strawberries and kiwi.
- 1⁄2 cup bitter orange juice (or 1/4 C orange juice C grapefruit juice)
- 1⁄4 cup grapefruit juice
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -4 teaspoon minced habanero (or use jalapenos)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons anchiote oil (annato, or mix vegetable oil with 1 tsp paprika)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts (I use boneless, skinless breasts cut into wide stips)
- Combine everything except the chicken and whisk until well mixed.
- Add chicken and coat throughly. Cover and chill 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Stir once in a while.
- Grill over medium to hot oiled grill 5-7 min on each side until chicken.
- is white in the center. Serve with beans and rice.
I marinated bone-in chicken thighs overnight then put the entire thing in the crock pot on high for about 2 hours, then reduced to low for another 2 hours. Served it up at my Mayan supper over the weekend and got lots of requests for the recipe. Yummy!
Simple and very tasty. More of a marinade than a paste. I used one habanero, seeded, and fresh oregano from the garden. Marinated about 20 legs and BBQ'ed them. Very very good! If anything, could have been a bit spicier for our tastes. Marinated for 2 hours. Next time I will plan ahead enough for either a longer marinade period, or go with 1.5 habaneros. Update. After trying a few times, I use the entire habanero. Seeds and all. Also, 50/50 mix of orange and grapefruit, with orange zest added. Combined with a 6 hour marinate, that seems to work great