Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are a total taste sensation. Maya Gold Chocolate flecks scattered through a moist orange scented chocolate sponge cupcake. You'll eat one of these and think angels have landed on your tongue!
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (I use Green & Blacks')
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 20 g semisweet chocolate (Green & Blacks' Maya Gold)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350/gas 4.
- Mix cocoa powder with boiling water until smooth, set aside.
- Mix 1 tablespoon caster sugar and cinnamon, set aside. (This will be used at the end of the recipe to sprinkle on the c-cakes).
- Finely grate the peel off the orange, set aside.
- Finely grate the Maya Gold and set aside.
- Into a medium sized bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, add grated orange peel and whisk.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, add sugar and whisk, add sour cream, vanilla extract and whisk again.
- Stir cocoa mixture and add, whisk. Stir melted butter and add, whisk.
- Finally add flour and whisk again. As the batter starts to stiffen use a spatula to fold until smooth.
- Now, stir in the grated Maya.(Should you want contrast in texture and intensity add a few small chunks per cup before baking).
- Line muffin tin with paper cups and divide batter. Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.