5 hrs 30 mins
carrie sheridan's Note:
I found this recipe in the October 2004 issue of O magazine. I love to cook the recipes of people I greatly admire--in a small way, to share something simple with them! I'm looking forward to trying Abraham Lincoln's favorite cake. This would be good as a banana pie in a zwieback [crushed zwiebacks and melted butter] crust, too, I suspect...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir until blended.
- 3Mix in milk.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and boiling; boil 1 minute and remove from heat.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Then whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot custard until blended. Pour yolk mixture back into the saucepan of custard; cook over medium heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in butter and vanilla until blended.
- 7Place vanilla wafers [these could be crushed in a large bag with a rolling pin] on the bottom of a shallow 2-quart casserole dish.
- 8Top with layers of banana slices and custard.
- 9Repeat layering, ending with custard.
- 10In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites that are at room temperature with 1/4 cup sugar at low speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar; increase speed to medium and gradually beat in remaining sugar. Beat until egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- 11Spoon meringue over hot custard immediately, making sure the meringue touches the baking dish on all sides (this prevents shrinking).
- 12Transfer to oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- 13Remove pudding from oven and cool 1 hour.
- 14Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maya Angelou's Man-Winning Banana Pudding/Banana Pie W. Meringue
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.8
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 314.3 mg
- Sodium 221.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 37.4 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: