Recipe by Cookin In Texas
I got allot of these, I bought tons of recipe boxes from an auction recently, they are all on hand written index cards. NOTE: none of these have time or servings on them so I am guesstimating those.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 8 eggs, separated
- 4 bananas, ripe thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups vanilla wafers
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir until blended. Mix in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and boiling. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks, then whisk in 1/2 cup of hot custard from pan until blended.
- Pour yolk mixture back into saucepan of custard; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly , 2 minutes.
- Stir in butter and vanilla until blended.
- Place vanilla wafers on bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Top with a layer of sliced bananas and custard. Repeat layering, ending with custard.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar at low speed until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar; increase speed to medium and gradually beat in remaining sugar. Beat until egg whites hold a stiff peak.
- Spoon meringue over hot custard immediately, bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 1 hour at room temperature Then refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.