Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This meatloaf is loved by people who do not like meatloaf because it is moist and tastes very good. It is also great leftover for sandwiches. We serve it with creamed potatoes using the sauce as a gravy.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 bell pepper, diced small
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese, cut in sticks
- 2 eggs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (tomatoes with diced chiles)
- Mix all of the ingredients together except cheese, soup and Rotel tomatoes.
- Shape into loaf shape.
- Here and there in the loaf poke a hole and insert stick of cheese.
- Mix soup and Rotel tomatoes together and pour over meatloaf.
- Bake 350°F for 1 hour.
We do not like meatloaf however my husband wanted to try one last time to see if we could find one that was moist and tasty. This one really fit the bill and will be standard fare in our house each week. Thank you margie for a wonderful recipe and the topping was what really made this so good. Great job!!!!
A simple recipe to follow. We cannot get Velveeta or Rotel in Australia so I used a mild cheddar cheese and a tin of crushed tomatoes with basil. To make up for the lack of (Rotel) chillies I sprinkled some dried chilli flakes into the meat mix. I used the 'soup' to baste the meat loaf and baked it for 1 hour 25 minutes at 350F. Terrific result and we will finnish it off cold at a picnic in front of the Sydney Opera House tonight. Richard
Although this turned out tasting quite good, the problem I had was the instructions themselves. I have never cooked meatloaf and thought this one sounded great so decided to give it a try. The first line says mix ALL ingredients together except Cheese, which is where I made a now very obvious error. Soup and Tomatoes really needed to be listed as except items as well at step 1. Needed to increase the cooking time to allow for the extra moisture, but the end result, although not very meatloaf like was still quite tasty.