Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
I cannot believe that there are so many DIFFERENT recipes for hamburger soup! This is ours and came to us by way of Maxine, with a few modifications. This is so great in the cold of Winter. It reminds me of the bounty of Summer, and warms my heart. Definitely a comfort food. Since I use my own canned tomatoes, my soup may be thinner than the recipe would indicate. Please feel free to add more water, tomato juice, V-8 juice, or sauce to make this soup of your desired thickness or thinness!
Top Review by cajunhippiegirl
Very good soup. Made it on one of our extra cold days this year and was quite pleased. Mom ate it 3 times. Since there are only 2 of us we froze the rest. Definitely a keeper, thanks SweetieBarbara for posting.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 onions (diced)
- 2 quarts canned tomatoes (I use the jars of tomatoes I have canned)
- 1 cup white shoepeg corn
- 1 cup potato (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (sliced in rounds)
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 cup macaroni (cooked, rinsed, and drained)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato juice (or V-8 juice -the single serving size) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat with onions.
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Add water or beef broth if needed.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add macaroni at last minute continue to heat for 3 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread, or hot buttered rolls.