I cannot believe that there are so many DIFFERENT recipes for hamburger soup! This is ours and came to us by way of Maxine, with a few modifications. This is so great in the cold of Winter. It reminds me of the bounty of Summer, and warms my heart. Definitely a comfort food. Since I use my own canned tomatoes, my soup may be thinner than the recipe would indicate. Please feel free to add more water, tomato juice, V-8 juice, or sauce to make this soup of your desired thickness or thinness!
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 onions (diced)
- 2 quarts canned tomatoes (I use the jars of tomatoes I have canned)
- 1 cup white shoepeg corn
- 1 cup potato (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (sliced in rounds)
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 cup macaroni (cooked, rinsed, and drained)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato juice (or V-8 juice -the single serving size) (optional)
- Brown meat with onions.
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Add water or beef broth if needed.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add macaroni at last minute continue to heat for 3 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread, or hot buttered rolls.