Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Maxine's recipe from family collection.
- 1 (24 ounce) package pitted dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut dates in half. Combine boiling water, butter and baking soda and pour over dates. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Add flour, sugar, salt and pecans. Grease pan and put mixture into it.
- For topping, combine melted butter, water and brown sugar. Put half of topping over date mixture.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven, and add the rest of the topping. Bake for another 20 minutes.