Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband's great aunt's recipe. Her and my MIL never got along and she always refused to give her the recipe... well, one day my MIL stumbled across the recipe in her kitchen and immediately distributed the "secret" recipe to everyone she knew :) These are THAT good. You can omit the filling (which will make this a delicious dairy free recipe) and fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full... then the recipe only makes about 18-24 plain (but so delicious) chocolate cupcakes. ***I know it sounds weird but DON'T SKIP THE VINEGAR!!*** It gives the recipe its unique flavor. Also, follow the directions carefully. It just won't be the same otherwise :)
- In a large bowl, mix flour, 2 c sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make 2 small holes and 1 large hole in this mixture. In one small hole, pour in vanilla. In the other small hole, pour in vinegar. In the large hole, pour in the cooking oil. DO NOT MIX YET. Pour lukewarm water on top and NOW mix by hand till well blended.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full.
- For the filling: Mix cream cheese, 1/3 c sugar, egg, and chocolate chips till well blended. Put 1 Tbsp filling on top of each cupcake.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.