Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My Mom's childhood friend, Maxine, gave us this recipe. It's quite simple but tastes really good and fresh. When I make it now, I tend to blanche the veggies a little bit and then shock them in cold water, because I like them a little bit softer. But I'll post her original recipe. Again, another one of my Nana's favorites...NOTE: Passive cook time is marinating time.
- 1 lb cauliflower floret, chopped to bite size
- 1 lb fresh broccoli floret, chopped to bite size
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Prepare vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mix remaining ingredients together very well. Pour over veggies and toss.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in fridge over night.
- Toss thoroughly before serving.
I love these salads and although the flavor was there it was too watery for me.. the dressing layed in the bottom of the bowl and although I kept stirring it around it wouldn't coat the broccoli/cauliflower.. if I used this recipe again I think I would cut back on the vinegar
The dressing on this salad has a very nice flavor. It doesn't take long to put together and would be great for a cook out or to take to a pot luck dinner.
This was really wonderful, just what I was looking for. Simple, yet delicious. Thanks for posting!