1/2 Photos of Max & Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup - Sue's Original Clone
2 hrs 30 mins
Sue S.'s Note:
In 2001 I attempted to duplicate Max & Erma's (well-known mid-west restaurant chain) chicken tortilla soup. It elicits favorable compliments every time that I serve it. Rather than prepare a time-consuming cream/milk base, I chose to use condensed soups. With the addition of the other ingredients, the end result is a tasty, spicy, flavorful southwestern soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (609.51 g) can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 (609.51 g) can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 (609.51 g) can Campbell's condensed cream of celery soup
- 2 (609.51 g) can Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (850.48 g) can chicken broth
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes
- 236.59 ml picante salsa (Pace brand medium hot)
- 127.57 g can green chilies (Ortega brand)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml red new mexico chile powder (NOTE -- This is not the same as ordinary red chili powder. It can often be found in specialty foods)
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 cooked chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 10 flour tortillas
- 354.88 ml vegetable oil
- 226.79 g colby cheese
- 1In a large (8-10 quart) stockpot combine and whisk together until smooth all eight cans of soup.
- 2Add chicken broth. Add tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, onion, garlic, chile powder, salt and pepper. Bring all ingredients to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3Add cilantro and chicken breast chunks. Simmer another hour.
- 4While soup is simmering, make your soup toppings: Cut flour tortillas into small thin strips. Heat oil and deep fry tortilla strips until lightly browned. Shred cheese.
- 5To serve: Ladle soup into bowls, top with shredded cheese and fried tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Max & Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup - Sue's Original Clone
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 638.9
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 58.2 mg
- Sodium 1691.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: