Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother was from Texas and loved Mexican food, but hated anything hot and spicy so she came up with this modified chili recipe. My wife and i have improved upon it over the years.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil or 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (I like Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (any or mix of colors)
- 3 -4 fresh crushed garlic cloves
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans (Or your Favorite)
- 1 (32 ounce) canof diced peeled tomatoes
- Sauté onions, peppers, and garlic in the oil until slightly caramelized.
- Crumble up the ground chuck into the mixture and cook until well done.
- Add the two cans of beans and mix.
- Add the can of diced, peeled tomatoes.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and then cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- I like to add crushed red pepper in mine after i put it in a bowl and serve it with crisp fiesta cornbread (the kind of cornbread that has bits of spicy red and green peppers in it).
- Best served on a cold, snowy day, when you are at home watching the live news reports of everybody stuck in traffic and having minor fender-benders.