Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Comfort food yum! Golden, cake-like crust. Can replace a portion of the chicken with an equal amount of frozen, thawed veggies, or stir a cup of shredded cheese into the soup mixture. Suggest broccoli and cheddar. May substitute fat-free soup for less calories. From Southern Living January 2007
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Place chopped cooked chicken in a lightly greased 12x8 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and cornstarch.
- Pour mixture evenly over chicken.
- Whisk together self-rising flour, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Spoon batter evenly over chicken mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
I know it's unsophisticated to like anything that uses canned soup, so I wouldn't go around bragging about it, but this casserole is quick comfort food, (especially if you use a roast chicken from the grocery store). I stir in some still-frozen broccoli florets to make it a one-dish meal that doesn't overcook the broccoli. And of course, cheese makes anything better....