Recipe by Jett Farran-Ridge
This is a favourite dish of mine. I've decided to share it so that everybody can enjoy it as much as I have.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
I didn't make the roti... only the sauce. I was looking for a recipe for canned mackerel in tomato sauce. Not much to pick from. I ate this in puffed pita bread and it was OK. I'm not a big fish fan so I was worried after tasting the sauce. But when coupled with the bread the flavor mellowed out some.
- 2 -3 cups plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- hot water, to make a consistency of dough
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
Fish sauce ingredients
- 2 medium diced onions
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 diced peeled tomatoes (half a 425g can)
- 1 can mackerel in tomato sauce (can be bought at Asian food shops)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour, salt, butter/margarine and add the hot water until the dough pulls away from the spoon.
- Don't make the dough too dry or too wet.
- The secret to good roti is to make the dough just right.
- Roll the dough into roughly crepe size pieces and brush with oil.
- Fold the roti into little square"packages".
- Brush the"packages" with oil again.
- Roll the roti out again into crepe size pieces.
- Oil both sides of the roti and fry (NOT deep fry) in a pan until slightly brown.
- Place in a bowl and repeat the above process with the other"packages" and place the bowl aside.
- Fish sauce: Fry onions and garlic until browned.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice and the can of mackeral and it's juice.
- Simmer until cooked to taste.
- Serve roti flat on a plate and then spread the fish sauce in the middle of the roti.
- The person then rolls his own roti and enjoys.