Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Taken from Nigella Lawson's divine book 'Forever Summer' pg 76.
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice and zest required)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon curry leaf
- 750 g prawns, peeled and deveined
- grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 3 -4 green finger chilies
- Measure out the turmeric, coriander, cumun, chilli power and mace into a bowl and grate over the peeled ginger and garlic.
- Add some water to form a paste and then leave to the side.
- Fry the onion gently until it softens.
- Stir in the spicy paste and cook for a minute or so, stirring the whole time.
- Pour in the tomatos and then fill a can with water and add that to the pan as well.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and put the cinnamon stick and curry leaves into the pan.
- Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes so that it can thicken and the herbs can settle.
- Add the prawns to the sauce and let them cook through.
- Serve the dish and garnish with nutmeg, lemon zest, fresh coriander and chillies.
WOW! I'll certainly be making this again! So many subtle little flavors. Don't let the long ingredient list scare you off, it is easy and well worth it! Made for Spring 2013 PAC.