Recipe by ROBIN PENA
A famous department store's salad. I believe it was Macy's but not positive. My mother used to go there as a child and loved this salad. It's really good! Note: if you've never heard of onion juice as I hadn't, you can find it in the spice isle of the grocery.
Top Review by LisaAD
Absolutely terriffic and almost the way I remember it. I added a bit of yellow mustard to color up the dressing. Didn't have onion juice so, i substituted onion powder with some water. I also used a second diced boiled egg and sprinkled it over the servings. Thank goodness someone figured this out! I remember having it at Hudson's as a kid!! Thanks Robin!
- 14 ounces ham, cut into strips
- 14 ounces cooked turkey breast, cut into strips
- 14 ounces swiss cheese, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup slivered sweet gherkin
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 12 -16 pimento stuffed olives (or more to taste)
for the dressing
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 hard-boiled egg, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dressing combine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and mustards.
- Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Add mayonnaise, parsley, egg, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Combine ham, turkey, cheese, and pickles in a large bowl.
- Toss in dressing.
- Divide lettuce among plates.
- Top with salad and garnish each plate with two olives.