Recipe by Shazzie
The best fish cakes I have ever had. So sad that tinned pilchards (or sardines) in tomato sauce don't appear as a known ingredient on Zaar as these beat all the other fish cake recipes (for me). Perhaps a few other "foreign" non-American members will have this ingredient at hand and give this a bash. Preparation time excludes making mashed potato - can use instant mash if desired).
Top Review by Tessa van Niekerk
Beautiful! I actually received a few tins of pilchards as a house-warming gift when I moved into my first own flat, and never really knew what to do with them. Try it with pilchards in chilli sauce for a bit of a bite, especially in winter...
- 2 (445 g) cans pilchards in tomato sauce
- 2 -3 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the pilchards, retaining the tomato sauce.
- Add to mashed potato and beaten egg, mixture must be quite stiff.
- Add onion and seasoning.
- Form into cakes and bake at 200 C for approximately 30 minutes, turning over half way through.
- (If desired, allow to cool and freeze - can be re-heated in microwave).
- Serve with reserved tomato juice, simmered with italian herbs and parmesan.