The best fish cakes I have ever had. So sad that tinned pilchards (or sardines) in tomato sauce don't appear as a known ingredient on Zaar as these beat all the other fish cake recipes (for me). Perhaps a few other "foreign" non-American members will have this ingredient at hand and give this a bash. Preparation time excludes making mashed potato - can use instant mash if desired).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Drain the pilchards, retaining the tomato sauce.
- 2Add to mashed potato and beaten egg, mixture must be quite stiff.
- 3Add onion and seasoning.
- 4Form into cakes and bake at 200 C for approximately 30 minutes, turning over half way through.
- 5(If desired, allow to cool and freeze - can be re-heated in microwave).
- 6Serve with reserved tomato juice, simmered with italian herbs and parmesan.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maureen's Pilchard Fish Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.2
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 238.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pilchards in tomato sauce