Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My friend Maureen gave me this family favourite cake recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut (dried, shredded)
- Cream butter and sugar; add egg yolks, then sifted flour, milk, vanilla and grated zest and juice of orange.
- Place mixture in a prepared greased or paper lined 7" or 8" round cake tin.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually adding 1 tablespoon sugar; mix in coconut and spread over cake mixture in tin.
- Bake in moderate oven 170-180degC (325-350degF) for 30-40 minutes.