1/1 Photo of Maura's French Onion Soup
3 hrs 50 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
This crockpot version is elegant, but inexpensive and very easy to put together -- my husband loves it! I usually serve mine with a salad & freshly-baked loaf of bread. Lots of other French onion soup recipes seem to call for an extreme amount of butter, but I've found that 1 or 2 tablespoons, along with some well-browned onions, will yield a lovely rich flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook the onions in butter over medium/low heat for 20 minutes or until browned.
- 2(You want the onions to be a golden color, but NOT black!) Remove from heat, and set aside.
- 3Mix sugar, flour, a few dashes of pepper& rosemary, and 2/3 cup of the wine into a paste mixture.
- 4Add this to the onions, and mix well.
- 5Put the onion mixture into the crockpot.
- 6Add broth and bay leaves.
- 7Stir soup mixture very gently. (Stirring doesn't have to be overly thorough... just enough so that the onions are no longer a paste.)
- 8Cook on "high" for 2 1/2 hours.
- 9Add soy sauce, buillon cubes, and remaining 1/3 cup of wine.
- 10Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- 11Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maura's French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.0
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.2 mg
- Sodium 2578.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 9.2 g