Recipe by gailanng
From Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine website. It was inspired by Roy's love for vegetables and greens, this salad is a refreshing combination of feta, capers, shrimp, tomatoes and fresh lettuce. It was named after the great produce grown on the island of Maui.
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced very thin (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 12 large cooked shrimp, each cut crosswise into 3 pieces (grilled shrimp works great)
- 1⁄2 medium avocado, diced into pieces the same size as the shrimp
- 8 bibb lettuce, cut into 1/8 inch strips
- 4 popcorn shoot mixed sprouts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- DRESSING PREPARATION: Combine shallots, 1 teaspoon capers and lime juice in a blender and purée until smooth. Add olive oil and mustard and blend until well combined. Stir in honey.
- TO ARRANGE SALAD: Arrange 5 slices of tomato on each of four plates, overlapping them to form a circle with a hole in the middle.
- Combine feta, 2 tablespoons capers and onion, drizzle with some dressing and salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
- Combine shrimp and avocado in another bowl, drizzle with some dressing and salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Drizzle lettuce with a little dressing and salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
- Mound 1/4 of the lettuce in center of tomato ring. Spoon one 1/4 of the feta and shrimp mixture on top. Drizzle tomatoes and salad with some of the remaining dressing. Garnish with popcorn shoot sprouts, if desired.