Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
When I cooked this for the first time I thought I was manufacturing shoe leather - not so the steak turned out tender and very tasty. We can buy "Maui Ribs" already in the marinade but I prefer this recipe. Although there is sugar & vinegar in the marinade it does not come through as sweet & sour. Brown Sugar substitute worked well. I don't know why it's called Maui Steak! So I had a wing steak in the freezer made the marinade and let the steak sit in it for 2 days in the fridge - result lovely tasty tender steak
- 2 lbs boneless short ribs, apprx 3/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- salt and pepper
- Salt& Pepper the steaks ,( what I refer to as a steak here is the 3/4" cut of the boneless short ribs), place on a rack over a baking sheet and roast in a 350F oven for 45 minutes.
- Combine the marinade ingredients Soy, oil, sugar, vinegar, ginger in a zip lock bag.
- Allow steaks to cool and then place them in the marinade.
- Place in fridge and allow then to marinate overnight or for 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 275°F.
- Place steaks and marinade in an oven proof dish, seal with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours they should be fall apart tender.
- NOTE: if there is no marinade left add a bit of sherry or water before you seal the dish so there is some moisture in the dish with the steaks.
OMG were these ever good! Really tender & Juicy, I have never par-cooked then marinated, then finish cooked anything, never heard of it. I will definatly make this dish many times over! Thanks Bergy!