Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe from Peter Merriman, Merriman's Restaurant, Hawaii
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 cups orange sections
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nam pla (Asian fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- 12 maui onions, slices 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 teaspoons sambal oelek chili paste (hot chili paste)
- 4 ounces goat cheese (I use Feta or some other)
- 4 basil leaves, fresh
- 12 slices tomatoes, 1/4 inch thick
- To prepare the sauce, use a blender and combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil and blend well. Slowly add the olive oil while the blender is running to incorporate the ingredients.
- With each onion slice, rub 1 side with olive oil, thyme, and the Sambal. Grill the onion rings, bigger side down, turn and spread the goat cheese. Grill an additional 30 seconds longer. Continue to stack the onion and cheese, then basil, tomato, and basil again.
- To serve, spread the sauce onto each plate or a large platter and place the onion napoleons on sauce.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.