Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Ralph Shirey
Make and share this Maui Lemon Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Slice lemons as thinly as possible (do not peel).
- Discard seeds and combine lemon slices with sugar and allow to stand while makine the pastry.
- Cut 1 cup of shortening onto 3 cups sifted flour unitl mixture has the consistency of cornmeal.
- Add 1 whole egg and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Mix well and add 2-3 tablesppons of water, 1 tablespoon at a time, working in with a fork until the mixture leavs the side of the bowl.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out half and fit into the pie pan.
- Roll out the other half and cut in strips for the lattice top. Set aside.
- Beat eggs well and stir into the lemon mixture.
- Pour into the shell, cover with lattice and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 35 minutes longer.
- One thing I will do on the next one I bake is to cut the peel on the lemons so as no to have a 3-4 inch piece of peel in the pie.