Recipe by kelly in TO
Blend this soup so it's nice and creamy, or leave some of the ingredients course while blending for a heartier soup. This soup is also amazing garnished with some think yogurt or sour cream and chopped cilantro.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small purple onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 (420 ml) cans black beans
- 420 ml canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernel
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- .In a large pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrot, onion and bell peppers. Saute until onion becomes clear, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or hand-held blender to your desired consistency.
- Add corn and let simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.