Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are wonderful! We have used them as appetizers and as part of the meal. It is just another take on cooking with matzoh. Found the original on ivillage.com
- 5 matzohs
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 red pepper, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons oil (for sauteing the onion mixture)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground chicken
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- oil (for frying the turnovers) or margarine (for frying the turnovers)
- Sprinkle the matzoh with water and wrap in a clean, damp towel.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper in oil until golden.
- Add the chicken, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat two of the eggs lightly.
- Add them and the matzoh meal to the chicken and the onions and season to taste.
- Cut each matzoh in half.
- Near the narrow edge of each half, put a tablespoon of the chicken mixture and roll the matzoh carefully.
- Beat the third egg and dip each roll in it and fry in hot oil or margarine until golden brown on both sides.