Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
These make light and fluffy matzoh balls. If you want hard as a rock matzoh balls (also known as Jewish hand grenades) you'll have to look for a recipe somewhere else.
- Add salt, pepper and club soda to yolks.
- Beat yolks on high speed.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold yolks into whites with a fork.
- Fold matzoh meal in with a fork, 1/2 cup at a time, until mixture is of medium consistency.
- You will need at least 2 cups matzoh meal.
- Cover the bowl with foil and refrigerate at least 30-40 minutes.
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Form balls of mixture with hands; drop into the boiling water.
- Cook matzoh balls in a covered pot over low heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Add to soup when serving.
Wow! Until last week my only experiences with matzoh balls came from a recipe on a matzoh flour box. Last week, DH was a bit under the weather and was craving Jewish deli style chicken soup with big chunks of carrots and matzoh balls. I found your recipe, made about half the recipe in 1 1/2 to 2 inch balls that were done in about 20 minutes. They were pillows instead of grenades! You need to re-name this recipe to "Mirjam's Marvelous, Matchless Matzoh Balls".
Perfect! I halved the recipe, as I only needed it for 4 people for a seder, and we still had plenty left over! Lite and fluffy- just as advertised. And easy to make! I gave people two options for the soup: a light chicken broth from manischevitz, or Curried Pumpkin Soup (35411)- which was SO good with these matzoh balls!
I really don't know what it is, but I think you have to be part jewish to make good matzo balls!! I made these (granted the first time I ever tried) and they sank :( My BF thou he knows how to handle a good matzo ball. LOL thanks for posting, I will try my hand at this again, if the BF ever refuses to make me good Matzo balls.