Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great brunch dish, during Passover and any other time of the year. It can be served with cranberry sauce, applesauce mixed with fruit compote, maple or blueberry syrup or just plain with meat & cheese dishes.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1 medium onion, grated
- melted butter or melted margarine or vegetable oil
- Beat eggs and combine with cold water, salt, 2/3 of the grated onion and enough matzo meal to make a stiff batter that will drop from the spoon.
- Heat the butter, margarine or vegetable oil in a heavy skillet and add remaining onion for flavor.
- Drop batter from spoon to form round cakes and fry until brown before turning over to brown on underside. (I imagine these could be baked on an oiled baking sheet in a 350F until golden brown).
- Lift out one at a time and drain thoroughly on paper towel, before serving.