Recipe by Manami
Toasting the matzo enhances the flavor and helps it stay crisp. Keep a close eye on the buttercrunch as they bake. These were in Cooking Light, April 2004. Cooling time is 30 minutes or so.
Top Review by Chef Schellies
This was tasty, but next time I will use only 4 matzo crackers. I didn't have quite enough of the brown sugar/butter mixture to cover all of the crackers. We will definitely be making this again, though, probably even soon because we bought a LOT of matzo this year.
- 6 unsalted matzo crackers
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil; cover foil with parchment paper.
- Arrange matzo crackers in a single layer on pan, cutting them as necessary to fit; bake for 5 minutes or until crackers are lightly browned.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly; pour mixture over matzo.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the mixture bubbles.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate.
- Cool slightly; refrigerate 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Break into 36 pieces.