Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Toasting the matzo enhances the flavor and helps it stay crisp. Keep a close eye on the buttercrunch as they bake. These were in Cooking Light, April 2004. Cooling time is 30 minutes or so.
- 6 unsalted matzo crackers
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil; cover foil with parchment paper.
- Arrange matzo crackers in a single layer on pan, cutting them as necessary to fit; bake for 5 minutes or until crackers are lightly browned.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly; pour mixture over matzo.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the mixture bubbles.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate.
- Cool slightly; refrigerate 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Break into 36 pieces.
This was tasty, but next time I will use only 4 matzo crackers. I didn't have quite enough of the brown sugar/butter mixture to cover all of the crackers. We will definitely be making this again, though, probably even soon because we bought a LOT of matzo this year.