1/1 Photo of Matzo Ball Soup
4 hrs 20 mins
The traditional Matza Ball soup contains a lot of fat and sodium and from what I remember the matza's would sit like a lump in your belly - I decided to make an updated more heart healthy version - and here's what I came up with!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1 cup celery
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 14 cups water
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup matzo meal (Streit's)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1/4 cup seltzer water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 dashes fresh ground pepper
- 1For the stock the best results come from the chicken bones of an already cooked chicken - so enjoy a chicken dinner and save the bones and the close meat. Cook this until the vegetables are nearly disintegrated. Remember do not add your salt till the boil point has been reached or your stock will be cloudy. Approximately 3 hours.
- 2Cool and strain off all the meat, vegetables and bones. Discard.
- 3Cool and strain off any fats.
- 4For the Matzo Balls: Beat the eggs. Add seltzer,oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- 5Add Matzo meal and stir thoroughly. Refrigerate for 1/2 to 1 hour.
- 6Fill a 5 quart pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a rolling boil add 3/4 cup of kosher salt to the water and bring back to rolling boil.
- 7Moisten the palms of your hands with cold water form your matzo balls - I use a tsp to measure the amount - approximately 1/2" in diameter. Drop matzo balls into boiling water.
- 8Cook for at least 30 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- 10In a 6 quart pot add 1 tsp of olive oil when heated add your onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Over low heat bring to fork tender.
- 11Add the remainder of the ingredients. Add cooked matzo balls and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Matzo Ball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 131.2
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 2323.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: