Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
Food Safari, a new programme on Good Food Channel, It's Australian based but travels across the pceans in search of different foods and techniques. The soup is clear and full of flavour and it's the first ever try of Matzo balls and that hint of cinnamon really is surprising tasty! This recipe used passover certified Matzo meal which is baked darker.
- 1 kg chicken bones with meat (No Skin)
- 1 red onion, peeled and quarted
- 250 g carrots, top and tailed
- 1 leek, chopped roughly
- 2 parsnips, peeled chopped roughly
- for matzo balls
- 2 eggs (no blood check using clear bowl)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups matzo meal (Dark for passover)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the SOUP: Put chicken in a large pot, fill with cold water enough to cover the chicken . Bring to the boil and skim the fat layer off the top.
- Add vegetables and simmer-boil for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces and pour liquid through a strainer to catch the vegetables. Soup can be reheated or frozen. If reheating, shred some chicken and add to soup.
- For the MATZO BALLS: Break eggs abd beat adding oil, pinch of salt and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add Matzomeal and water and mix well again.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 mins if making now or overnight if making day before.
- When mixture firm, spoon into hand and create ball like dumpling, do this for all of mixture.
- In a pan of simmering salt water add matzo balls and cover for 20-25 minutes.
- Matzo Balls will rise to the surface.
- Reheat soup and add Matzo balls.