Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Enchiladas are quite possibly the best Mexican meal it was no until I moved away to college and had endure the nauseating dorm food that my appreciation for my Dad’s Enchiladas was realized. These Enchiladas will know doubt knock your socks off let me tell you.
red enchilada sauce
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons red chili powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- garlic powder (To Taste)
- salt (To Taste)
- 1 roasted chicken
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup red enchilada sauce
- 10 corn tortillas
- cheddar cheese (For topping)
- black olives (For topping optional)
- sour cream (For topping optional)
- tomatoes (For topping optional)
- Red Enchilada Sauce.
- Turn stove top burner on high and heat a large pan over heat.
- Add shortening.
- Once shortening has melted add flour and stir constantly with a wooden spoon.
- After flour the shortening flour mixture has become thick and blonde in color turn heat to medium.
- Then add Red Chili Powder and stir constantly till combined and (Mixture will be dark red.
- Add Chicken broth and stir until all combined about five minutes.
- Lastly allow mixture to simmer uncovered for about ten minute
- Chicken Enchiladas.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- Pull all the meat off the chicken and put in a pot discard the Chicken skin.
- Next, add Garlic Powder.
- Add Salt.
- Turn on burner to low and add Cheese and Red Enchilada Sauce.
- Stir until cheese has melted and all has combined.
- Meanwhile place the Corn tortillas in the simmering Red Enchilada Sauce.
- Next pull a corn tortilla out of the sauce once it has softened and spread Chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla.
- Make sure you divide enough mixture for all tortillas.
- Then roll the tortillas up leaving the ends open.
- Then take a casserole dish and coat the bottom with sauce.
- Then place all the rolled up tortillas seam side down in the casserole dish.
- Cover with a thin layer of cheese.
- Next pour the remainder of the sauce over the enchiladas and cover with cheese.
- Then place in oven for twenty minutes until cheese has melted and serve.
- On the side have more cheese, black olives, sour cream, tomatoes etc.
- Dig inches.
I made just as posted, and LOVED it.