Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
“Cooking With Love,” by Carla Hall
Make and share this Matthew's Chicken Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 7.39 ml cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 7.39 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 44.37 ml canola oil or 44.37 ml other neutral oil
- 4.92 ml canola oil or 4.92 ml other neutral oil
- 2 large yellow onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 29.58 ml chicken stock or 29.58 ml water
- 4 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 7.39 ml grated peeled fresh ginger
- 177.44 ml coconut milk
- 177.44 ml water
- toasted cashews (to garnish)
- cilantro (to garnish)
- steamed green peas, for serving
- cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Put the chicken breast chunks in one bowl and the thighs in another. In a small bowl, combine the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper. Divide between the bowls of chicken and turn the chicken pieces to evenly coat. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thigh chunks in a single layer and cook, turning the pieces occasionally, until nice and browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with another tablespoon oil and the chicken breast chunks, transferring them to another plate. You just want to sear the chicken, not cook it through.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, and add the onions and chile. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and melted, about 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the stock, stirring in the beautiful browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garlic, ginger, 1/4 cup of the coconut milk and 1/4 cup of the water. Stir well, bring to a simmer, and return the chicken thighs to the skillet. Cook for 20 minutes, then add the chicken breasts. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the remaining coconut milk and water. Cook 5 minutes longer or until stewy.
- Top with cashews and cilantro. Serve with plain steamed peas and basmati rice.