Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an old time favorite square recipe.Date Squares are known in Western Canada as Matrimonial Cake is a popular date filled rolled oat squares.
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb dates, pitted
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Spread 3/4 of the crumbs in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Date Filling:.
- Mix dates, water and sugar together in a saucepan.
- Cook until thick, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Allow to cool before using.
- Spread over the crumbs in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top of the filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 20 minutes.
Made this last night for dessert. Was looking for any easy recipe its one of my wife's favorite cake. I fondly remember my mother making this as well. I made it as the recipe calls for except I screwed up and added the lemon at step six. Still it tasted great. Tastes even better the next day and the next. Thank you Bohod
I have eaten this square all my life but I had never make it since that was my mom's specialty. It is one of my favorite squares. I really liked this recipe. Easy to put together and nice that it made a 9x13 pan. The only thing I did different was to double the date filling. I found that was perfect for what I was accustomed to. I will be making this again. It will be on my holiday tray as well. Great recipe, thanks!
Very good...crumb mixture stays together well.