1/2 Photos of Matrimonial Date Squares
This is a very old recipe, a delicious golden oldie which remains one of my favorites to serve family and friends. A favorite at coffee hour and potlucks as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dates
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (can use realemon)
IN A LARGE BOWL
- 2In pot over medium heat bring cold water and dates to a boil, and simmer two minutes, until dates nicely softened.
- 3Add Brown sugar, simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- 4Remove from heat, blend in the orange and lemon juice and set aside while making crumb crust.
- 5CRUMB CRUST.
- 6In large bowl put in the flour, soda, baking powder, salt and blend with a whisk to mix.
- 7Add the brown sugar and rub in the margarine with the tips of fingers to mix.
- 8Add the oatmeal and mix well.
- 10Spread and pat half the crumbs in bottom of a greased 9x13 pan, saving the other half for the top.
- 11Cover base with cool date filling and spread evenly.
- 12Top with the rest of crumb mix.
- 13Bake at 325 for 30- 35 minutes or (until top nice and gold).
- 14Servings will depend on on the size of slice you wish to serve, small for the dainty tray or large and generous for dessert.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Matrimonial Date Squares
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.9
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 238.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 41.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g