Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yummy bars made with dates.
- 1 3⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350' F.
- Grease one 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, salt and baking soda. Mix well. The mixture will be crumbly.
- In a saucepan over low heat, cook the chopped dates with the water and the white sugar until the pulp is soft and well mixed.
- Layer 1/2 of the oat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with the date mixture and then finish off with the remaining oat mixture. Press down slightly on layers to compact.
- Bake at 350'F for 45 minutes or until top crust begins to brown.
Well, I didn't make these for anyone's wedding, but wanted to make some date bars, & these came out just great! I used Medjool dates since they're moist & sweeter than many other types! Also used dark brown sugar, which, for me, added to the great taste! Thanks for the nice recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]