There's no special tricks with those huge cupcakes you see in bakeries, just bigger cupcake molds to bake them in, Texas Muffin to be exact. Almost anything can get a complicated-tasting delicate matcha flavor with the addition of matcha powder that you can find online or in Asian grocery stores! I made these after my recent move as the first thing to make in my real oven as my old gigantic toaster couldn't fit the Texas Muffin pan. This is relatively simple to put together and comes out beautiful. The batter makes 5-6 Texas Muffin size cupcakes but you'll probably have some leftover frosting depending on how you spread or pipe it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
GREEN TEA CAKE
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 g matcha green tea powder (I used three 5g packets)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Whisk the oil, sugar, and egg whites (or eggs) together well.
- 2In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- 3Mix the vanilla and matcha powder with the wet ingredients.
- 4Whisk in the dry ingredients and blend until there are no lumps and the batter is smooth.
- 5Line a Texas Muffin pan with the right size paper or silicone cups and pour the batter in them with about 1/2" room at the top of the liner to allow for rising. (If using paper liners, use 2 per cup-- this size is very apt to leak.).
- 6Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until the tops have lightly browned. Run a cake tester through the center of each cupcake to make sure each one baked through. When they have fully baked, let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes or until they are no longer warm to the touch.
- 7Make the frosting while waiting for the cupcakes to cool off-- make sure the butter has softened for about 45 minutes then put in the bottom of a large bowl.
- 8Put some confectioners' sugar, the cocoa powder, and vanilla over the butter and run an electric mixer through it, adding milk or soymilk as needed to make it run through smoothly. Add more confectioners' sugar if it gets runny. Keep repeating until it reaches a nice thick, creamy consistency.
- 9Spread or pipe the frosting onto each large cupcake as much as you'd like. Green sprinkles or green sanding sugar make nice accents!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Matcha Green Tea Mega-Cupcakes With Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 741.5
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 446.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 73.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
matcha green tea powder