Recipe by Mirj
This is in response to a recipe request. I can get matbucha from my local supermarket any day, but now that I have a recipe it should be simple to make it myself, and alter it to my tastes.
Top Review by JustJanS
I know Mirj posted this as a request (and not for me) so I know she hadn't made this. By the time the (ripe) tomatoes had spent about 15 minutes in the oven, and then 5 in a paper bag, they had turned to mush, and there was no way I could seed, slice or chop them (steps 5&6). I picked the skin from the pulp, left the seeds in, and just accepted that it (the pulp) formed a part of the dressing over the peppers. This tastes FANTASTIC, so next time, I won't worry that it doesn't seem to be doing what I expected.
- 5 red bell peppers
- 5 ripe tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon
- sea salt
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Grill or flame-roast the peppers and tomatoes.
- If you don't have a grill available, roast the peppers and tomatoes in the oven.
- After removing from the flame or heat source, place them in a paper bag and seal.
- After 5-10 minutes, the skins will peel off easily.
- Peel and seed peppers and tomatoes.
- Slice and chop into small cubes.
- Add garlic to vegetables and mix.
- Squeeze lemon juice and drizzle oil over salad.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve cold.