Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is simply the 'BEST' and most 'UNIQUE SHAPED' samosa I have seen in all my life! I was really lucky to get to watch Chef Rakesh Sethi make these this morning on Star Plus, on his cooking show, 'Mirch Masala'. These little potli samosas will sure make your guests ooh and aah o'er them. I promise you will love them. This is another one of the Diwali special dishes lined up on my list of things to make this year for Diwali:) This is also something I'd love everyone to try for this coming Cookathon as the theme is appetisers, and this sure is one!
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 200 g green peas
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kasuri methi (crumbled between your palms)
- 1 teaspoon green chili, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chat masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves
For the dough
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ajwain
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 100 g water
- First, prepare the filling for this dish.
- For this, do the following: Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- Add greenpeas, ginger and green chilli.
- Mix well.
- Once the raw smell of ginger is gone and the green peas are cooked, add corriander powder, kasori methi, red chilli powder, chat masala and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add corriander leaves and mix well.
- Now prepare the dough.
- For this, put ajwain seeds, oil, flour and water in a bowl.
- Knead well and make dough.
- Roll lengthwise.
- Now make small round balls out of this (like you would make for rotis/chapatis).
- Roll out on a lightly floured board till about 6 inches in diameter.
- Now, put 1-2 tsps.
- of the above prepared stuffing in the center.
- Close and give shape of a potli ('potli'is a Hindi word which means,"Small Basket").
- Likewise, repeat for all the balls of dough.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Drop potlis, gently, into the hot oil and deep fry till golden brown.
- Remove from oil.
- Drain on clean kitchen towels/napkins.
- Serve hot.