1/1 Photo of Matambre - Argentine Rolled, Stuffed Flank Steak
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (2 lb) flank steaks
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 -3 cup cold water
- 1Butterfly the steaks by slicing them horizontally from one long side to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the opposite side.
- 2Pound the steaks between plastic wrap to flatten them further.
- 3Trim of all sinew and fat.
- 4Lay one steak cut side up on a 12x18-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 5Sprinkle with half the vinegar, half the garlic, and half the thyme.
- 6Cover with the other steak, also cut side up, and sprinkle with remaining vinegar, garlic, and thyme.
- 7Cover and marinate for 6 hours at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- 8Lay the steaks end-to-end, in the direction of the grain of the meat, so that they overlap by about two inches.
- 9Pound the overlapping area to join them securely.
- 10Spread the spinach leaves evenly over the meat, and arrange the carrots across the grain of the meat in parallel rows about 3 inches apart.
- 11Place the egg quarters between the carrots.
- 12Scatter the onion rings over the meat, and sprinkle the surface with the parsley, salt and pepper.
- 13Carefully roll the matambre with the grain, jelly-roll style, into a thick, long cylinder.
- 14Tie at 1 inch intervals.
- 15Place the matambre in a large casserole or roasting pan along with the beef stock.
- 16Add enough cold water to come a third of the way up the roll.
- 17Cover tightly and bake at 375°F for one hour.
- 18To serve hot, remove the matambre to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 19Remove strings and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- 20Moisten with a little pan liquid, which can also be served on the side.
- 21Alternately, press the matambre under weights to until the juices drain off, refrigerate thoroughly, and slice as above.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Matambre - Argentine Rolled, Stuffed Flank Steak
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.2
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 159.1 mg
- Sodium 1108.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 43.1 g