Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for ZWT7- Africa. This Zimbabwean recipe was found on alleasyrecipes.com.
Make and share this Matabele Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 broiling chicken (about 3 lbs.)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chervil (chives or spring onions)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 12 ounces rice
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 rounds pineapple, diced
- 1 large onion
- Divide the chicken into joints and soak in the seasoned olive oil. Make some stock from the chicken carcass.
- Prepare the red pepper, removing seeds and white pith, and then cut into thin strips. Dice the bacon and the chicken liver and slice the onion thinly.
- Pour 1 Tblsp. olive oil into a frying pan and add the diced bacon, red pepper, onion and garlic; cover and cook gently for 15 minutes.
- Drain and keep warm, returning the oil to the pan and adding 1 Tblsp. more oil. Fry the rice until it starts to brown, stirring gently with a wooden spoon.
- Skim the chicken stock and add a little at a time to the rice so that the grains absorb the stock before more is added.
- Add the chicken liver after the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes; when the rice is fully cooked stir in the other ingredients and keep warm.
- Add further 1 Tblsp. oil to the pan and cook the chicken pieces gently for about 20 minutes or until just golden and tender- allow longer for the legs and thighs.
- Turn the rice mixture on to a large dish and arrange the chicken pieces on it. Sprinkle with chopped chervil and diced pineapple and serve with green salad.