Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Not the traditional black-eyed peas - these have great flavor and a little zip
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork (cut bite size) or 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Rinse peas, place in pot with seasonings.
- Cover with water.
- Cook uncovered (adding water as needed) till done.
- Serve over rice with jalapeño corn bread.
I tried this today and it is so good! I have never tasted them this way, especially with the diced tomatoes. I also added a few slices of fresh garlic, awesome! Thanks for sharing.
These were delicious, and perfect for New Year's. I used bacon, and all ingredients as listed. I wouldn't change a thing.
We all enjoyed this recipe. I used two cans of black eyed peas, half of a can of Rotel, and no bacon. I usually also add 1/3 of a red bell pepper and use 1/3 of a green. Very tasty!