Recipe by Sharon123
From the Sneaky Chef cookbook by Missy Chase Lapine. She says this is a nutritionally enhanced version of her stepmother's delicious recipe from Finland.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This is one of the few times that I wasn't making a mac & cheese casserole for a neighbor couple ~ This one was just for the 2 of us! Really enjoyed the inclusion of your 'orange puree' here, as it really adds a great touch! Even included the crunchy topping for a very memorable mac & cheese! Needless to say, it's a keeper! [Made & reviewed for this month's VIP in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 20]
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni (preferably whole wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup orange puree (My Take on Sneaky Orange Puree and or Sneaky Chef Make-Ahead White Puree)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated colby cheese (or cheddar cheese)
Crunchy Topping Variation
- 1 cup whole grain cereal flake (like Wheaties or Total)
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced into small pieces (or use Smart Balance)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Butter a 9" square baking pan.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions, until firm and slightly undercooked(8-10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk with the oange puree and salt.(and white puree if using-if using both use 1/4 cup each). Put half the macaroni into the baking pan and top with half colby(or cheddar) cheese.
- Next, layer with the rest of the macaroni, then pour the milk mixture over the top, finishing with the last of the cheese on top.
- If using Crunchy Topping Variation, use a rolling pin to gently crush cereal in a sealed plastic bag. Or, you can quickly pulse the cereal in a food processor. Add wheat germ and Parmesan to the bag and shake to mix.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture on top of macaroni and cheese and dot with butter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.