Recipe by Chickee
From the TV show Masterchef.
Top Review by NurseJaney
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #70* Prepared following the directions, but used a package of stew beef and sour cream. Due to not using tender beef, I let it simmer a few extra minutes, and served it over mashed potatoes. Lovely comfort food on a cold windy night ! Thanks for posting, Chickee -- will be fixing this for company !!
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 100 g flour
- 500 g beef, eye fillet sliced into strips
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 40 g butter, plus extra to serve
- 200 g swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 shallots, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup creme fraiche
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine paprika, flour and 1 teaspoon of sea salt in a bowl. Toss beef in the mixture to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat and sear the beef for 1-2 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; add half the butter and remaining the olive oil. Cook the mushrooms until caramelised.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add remaining butter, eschalots and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato paste, brandy, stock, Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in crème fraiche, reserved beef and juices, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta, mashed potato or rice.