Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
The crust recipe for the $25,000 Apple Pie
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 9 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- Cube butter into 1/4 or 3/8 inch pieces. Place in small bowl and refrigerate.
- Measure one 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening and refrigerate.
- Mix salt in ice water and keep chilled in refrigerator.
- In a food processor combine flour and sugar. Pulse two or three times to mix well.
- Add butter to processor and pulse several times. Add shortening and pulse until the mixture looks coarse and pale yellow.
- Place mixture into a large bowl and add three tablespoons of ice water. Knead the dough and water mixture until a loose ball forms. Add water one tablespoon at a time until mixture comes together. Be careful not to over knead as this will make a less flaky crust.
- Form pastry into a ball with your hands and divide into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Press into small disks on a sheet of wax paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll disks out on floured wax paper until the pastry is about 12 inches round and about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer to pie pan. Fill with fruit and add top crust. Cut vents to allow steam to escape.