Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
Specialty of the island of Siphnos (Greece). If you might use a wooden oven it will taste much better, of course!
- wine, twigs
- 1000 g lamb (shoulder of leg with bones, 2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dill, fresh cut finely (or 2 teaspoon dill dry)
- 300 ml wine (red or rose, 1 1/2 cup)
- 1000 g potatoes, peeled, sliced (2 pounds)
- 50 g feta cheese (optional)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Put on the bottom of your ceramic pot the wine-twigs crosswise forming a grid.
- Put the pieces of meat over the wine-twigs. If you like you can roast the meat in a frying pan with some olive olive oil in advance.
- Spread one tablespoon of dill on the meat.
- Cover your meat with feta (optional), potatoes and add salt, pepper and the remaining dill.
- Add the wine and the olive oil.
- Cover the ceramic pot with the cover or with tinfoil.
- Put it in the oven for 2 hours at 200°C During cooking check from time to time if there is enough liquid; if necessary add some wine.
- If you wish a very tender preparation, continue to cook for 1-3 hours at 120°C.
- Note: I use a "Römertopf" for this recipe (link: http://www.roemertopf.de/english/).